Monday, November 15, 2010

The passion of the...

Passion (from the Latin verb patior meaning to suffer or to endure) is an emotion applied to a very strong feeling about a person or thing. Passion is an intense emotion compelling feeling, enthusiasm, or desire for something. The term is also often applied to a lively or eager interest in or admiration for a proposal, cause, or activity or love. Passion can be expressed as a felling of unusual excitement, enthusiasm or compelling emotion towards a subject, idea, person, or object. A person is said to have a passion for something when he has a strong positive affinity for it. A love for something and a passion for something are often used synonymously. - Definition of "passion" from Wikipedia


A pretty straight forward description. Nothing obscure. However, there is one thing in the above definition that stood out to me – "the term is often applied to... ." I don't know anyone who doesn't have a passion for something. At least, they refer to it as "passion." But is it? Per the definition, the term "passion" is often used to describe something we feel strongly about, but when is "passion" misused as a term?

I always believed passion to be a good thing. I am passionate about sports. I am passionate about my cats. I am passionate about doing a good job... whatever that job is. But what if I was so passionate about these things, I started being angry at others for not sharing that passion? If other fans aren't cheering exactly the way I am, or staying up late watching the game, does that make them any less passionate? If I'm putting in more volunteer hours than my neighbor, does that mean I'm more passionate about giving back to the community?

That's a big "NO," ghost rider. Having passion for something does not give us superiority over others, nor does it give us the right to judge others and put our standards onto them. I had lunch with someone today who, at the end of the meal, thanked me for letting him get on his soapbox about an issue he is particularly passionate about. There was absolutely no apology necessary. It's passion like that that inspires others to get involved. When passion takes a hard left turn is when it is used a measuring stick. My passion as a Spurs fan doesn't give me the right to judge people who leave the arena early to avoid traffic. My passion for cats doesn't give me the right to look down my nose at people who own dogs. My passions are just that... MY passions. And those emotions are no excuse for bad behavior.

So, the next time you feel yourself getting frustrated at someone because they don't share your passions and aren't doing things the same way you would, please remember that "passion" is no excuse for impatience. Those people are simply passionate about something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment