Sunday, July 25, 2010

This is the voice of your conscience, baby.

Toby: I think what he's asking is why, on most other nights, do you think the world's going to hell in a hula hoop, but tonight...
C.J.:
We dip twice and eat gefilte fish?
Toby:
Suzy Creamcheese, do not attempt the Haggadah.
C.J.: I know how to bless the soup, too.
From The West Wing episode - Evidence of Things Not Seen

What does any of that mean? Unless you're even remotely familiar with Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention, which most people aren't, you won't have a clue. Welcome to the mind of Aaron Sorkin. If you're anything like me, it's a mind that you want to lick over and over to absorb all of the intelligence and sharp wit. Hence why I've pseudo-named this blog, "Everything I know I learned from The West Wing."

Will this blog be all about one of the best television series ever? No, but I will invoke quotes from the seven seasons often. While we can gain inspiration from the occasional movie – or more often, a book – it is rare that we find anything more than temporary entertainment within the small screen. For me, it was seldom that I would turn the tv off, after that anticipated hour, and not be affected by the passion of the characters and their quest to serve. It was then, and continues to be, a source of inspiration... an ideal... that everyone can set their sights on the highest of goals and, with hard work, determination – and a little luck – we can all make the world a better place.

Lofty? Perhaps. Overly dramatic? Maybe. But as the song goes, "Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends."

No comments:

Post a Comment